1930 Glenview Road, Glenview, IL 60025
Monday-Friday 9 AM-9 PM
Saturday 9 AM-5 PM • Sunday 1 PM-5 PM
Just as a ship has a navigation plan that charts its course and determines its direction of travel, the Glenview Public Library has engaged in a process to determine its course of action for the next three years.
After nearly a year of meetings and focus groups, open discussions with members of the community and analysis of data, Corbus Library Consultants recently presented its recommendations, which serve as the foundation of the Glenview Public Library’s Strategic Plan for 2014-2016.
The consultant identified specific needs and relayed observations as a result of his discussions with Glenview Library stakeholders. Here are a few highlights:
• The building, while enthusiastically received by the majority of residents, could benefit from some reworking of traffic patterns and additional signage to aid in ease of use;
• Some residents who were initially opposed to a new Library are now regular Library users;
• Greater public awareness through enhanced marketing efforts would be beneficial to increase awareness of the full complement of amenities and services that the new Library has to offer;
• Public enthusiasm runs high for the many new and innovative programs that are being offered to patrons of all ages;
• The Library’s varied collections are one of its strengths, and regional library consortium membership has enhanced this base of information;
• While the public has responded enthusiastically to eBooks and downloadable audio and video materials, they made it clear that the Library shouldn't diminish its print collections – patrons, including school-age children, voiced a concern that books do not disappear from library shelves;
• Technology is a high priority among residents – a desire for a greater variety of computer classes that extend beyond the introductory level; updated hardware and software are a “must”; and there is strong interest in the Library developing its social media presence;
• The future of funding is not clear, which makes ongoing assessment of the sustainability of services and programs a top priority;
• The Library has established many partnerships with community groups and other public bodies. These partnerships allow for collaboration on programs and events, resulting in a savings to the Glenview taxpayer. Additional cooperative ventures will be sought.
The Strategic Plan defines ten very specific goals which the Library will work to achieve in the next three years. These goals cover such areas as Customer Service, Materials Usage and Availability, Personnel and Human Relations, Equipment, Facilities and Systems Management, Community Awareness and Public Relations, and Financial Management.
The Library would like to thank all of those residents who so generously gave of their time to participate in one of the focus groups. The planning process was strengthened by the participation of so many. This is intended to be simply a brief overview of the Strategic Plan. The entire plan may be viewed here (PDF).